Fundraising and community outreach efforts of the Tanz Centre are guided by a dedicated and visionary group of individuals who have contributed their expertise to assist the Tanz scientists in achieving their mission to lead global research and education in neurodegenerative disease.
For many, their own experiences with neurodegenerative disease have inspired their contributions of time and energy to help understand and prevent Alzheimer’s and other devastating brain diseases. We thank them for their tremendous support and guidance.
Mark Tanz (Co-Chair)
Dr. Mark Tanz, a 1952 University College graduate, has been the major community leader behind the establishment of the Faculty of Medicine's Tanz Centre for Research in Neurodegenerative Diseases.
Following the 1986 death of his mother Gertrude from Alzheimer's disease, he initially pledged $4 million to fund a centre dedicated to developing better understanding, earlier diagnosis and improved treatment of Alzheimer's and other degenerative neurological diseases. He also helped interest many generous private donors in making commitments which together, with the support of the Alzheimer's Society of Ontario, underpin the continued successes of the Tanz Centre.
To date, Dr. Tanz has committed over $9.5 million to the Tanz Centre. He received an honorary degree from the University of Toronto in 1990.
Read the story behind Mark Tanz’s vision for the Tanz Centre here.
Lionel H. Schipper C.M., Q.C. (Co-Chair)
President, Schipper Enterprises
Dr. Lionel Schipper graduated from the Faculty of Law in 1956 and joined Goodman & Goodman in 1959. He retired from the profession in 1981 to pursue his business interests but retained a close association with his former law firm, now Goodmans LLP. Among his many business involvements and directorships, Dr. Schipper has served as an Advisor of Clairvest Group Inc., Chairman of Toronto Sun Publishing Corp., and has been the Chairman of Fallbrook Holdings Ltd., since 1981.
He has also worked tirelessly for the University of Toronto in a number of initiatives. In 1983, following the death of his mother, Dr. Schipper became involved with the Tanz Centre and has subsequently served as Vice-Chairman. Lionel and Carol Schipper have both supported and volunteered for a wide range of charitable endeavours.
Read the story of Lionel and Carol Schipper’s inspiring decision to support the Tanz Centre here.
The Tanz Centre would like to acknowledge the dedicated efforts of the members of the External Advisory Committee, including:
- Jordan Banks – Managing Director, Facebook Canada
- Gale Carey – CEO, Alzheimer Society of Ontario
- Mary Clark – Community Volunteer
- Mike den Haan – Executive Director of Advancement, U of T Medicine
- Heather Fraser – President and Founder, Firefly Foundation
- Paul Fraser – Jeno Diener Chair in Neurodegenerative Disease
- Paul Godfrey – President and CEO, Postmedia
- Joseph Heffernan – Chairman, Clairvest Group
- Robert Prichard – Chairman, Torys LLP
- Joel Reitman – President and CEO, MIJO Corporation
- Peter St George-Hyslop – Director, Tanz Centre
- Stuart Tanz – President and CEO, Retail Opportunity Investments
- Catharine Whiteside – Dean of Medicine
- Burton Winberg – Chairman and Principal, The Rockport Group
- Geoff Matus, Chairman of Tricon