Fundraising and community outreach efforts of the Tanz Centre are guided by a dedicated and visionary group of individuals who have contributed their expertise to assist the Tanz scientists in achieving their mission to lead global research and education in neurodegenerative disease.
For many, their own experiences with neurodegenerative disease have inspired their contributions of time and energy to help understand and prevent Alzheimer’s and other devastating brain diseases. We thank them for their tremendous support and guidance.
Stuart Tanz (Chair)
Stuart Tanz has served as the President and CEO of Retail Opportunity Investments Corporation (ROIC) since 2009. Prior to joining ROIC, Mr. Tanz was the Chief Executive Officer of United Income Properties Inc., a privately owned retail real estate development company in Southern California which developed, owned and operated various shopping centres in Southern California.
Mr. Tanz has been a generous supporter to the Tanz CRND Campaign and recently made a $1 million gift to support a transformational collaboration between the Tanz Centre and the Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute.
In addition to his philanthropic support, Mr. Tanz has been a member of the Tanz CRND Steering Committee since 2011. In 2014 he was appointed as the new Chair.
The Tanz Centre would like to acknowledge the dedicated efforts of the members of the External Advisory Committee, including:
- Jordan Banks - Managing Director, Facebook Canada
- Gale Carey - CEO, Alzheimer Society of Ontario
- Mary Clark - Community Volunteer
- Heather Fraser - President and Founder, Firefly Foundation
- Paul Fraser - Jeno Diener Chair in Neurodegenerative Disease
- Paul Godfrey - President and CEO, Postmedia Network Inc.
- Joseph Heffernan - Chairman, Clairvest Group Inc.
- Geoff Matus, Chairman, Tricon Capital Group Inc.
- J. Robert S. Prichard - Chairman, Torys LLP
- Joel Reitman - President, Jillcy Investments Ltd.
- Peter St George-Hyslop - Director, Tanz CRND
- Lionel Schipper - President, Schipper Enterprises, Past Co-chair, Tanz Steering Committee
- Mark Tanz - Community Volunteer, Past Co-chair, Tanz Steering Committee