Frontotemporal Dementia

Frontotemporal Dementia (FTD) is the second most common form of dementia after Alzheimer’s disease.

FTD is an age-related heterogeneous clinical syndrome characterized by early behavioral change and cognitive decline. It represents a group of primary degenerative dementias with predominant frontal and/or temporal lobe symptoms (e.g. decline in social and personal behavior, stereotyped behavior).  Approximately 10-20% of cases are genetically inherited (familial FTD) with the remaining 80% of cases occurring sporadically (sporadic FTD), with no known cause of disease.